Monday, September 29, 2014

Connemara


I cannot believe I've been in Ireland for nearly a month. Time needs to pump the brakes because I need more than two and a half more months in this green wonderland. This past weekend while most of our group was jet-setting through Europe (London, Copenhagen, and Munich), Caroline, Abby, Dennis, and I headed out on a day trip to Connemara and Cong. The bus tour took us to Kylemore Abbey where we walked around (in the rain, of course) the 1,000 acre estate. Included on the property is of course the impressively large castle that belonged to Mitchell Henry and his family in the late 1800's. We also walked through the Victorian Walled Garden and the Gothic Church that was built by Henry in remembrance of his wife, Margaret, following her death.










The bus ride to and from the Abbey was debatably even more impressive. Driving through desolate areas of huge fields of green, mountains of marble and again, green, as well as rivers flowing through the entire range and sheep everywhere you look. It was simply breathtaking. It was the quintessential Ireland, only five times more incredible.




For those of you who know me at all there are two things I simply can't live without: coffee and Chipotle. For all my coffee loving friends, I'd skip over this part if I were you. I think it's safe to say I have moved on from #teamcoffee and am officially a tea drinker (gasp). Yeah, I know, it's hard for me to get over too but you can do it. But seriously, I drink at least four cups a day and actually like it. They must slip something in the tea here because it actually tastes good. Maybe it's just an Irish thing? As for Chipotle, I found the Irish equivalent and it's giving Chipotle a run for it's money. Don't worry, I could never completely replace Chipotle like I did with coffee, but Boojums is definitely a sufficient substitute for the time being.



Now I just need to find some avocados. My brother found them and of course sent me a snapchat just to torture me. I'll have to make my way to Spain at some point just for the avocados, never mind seeing him. My mom on the other hand told me yesterday that she hasn't been able to eat a single one since I left because it just doesn't feel right. She must really love me! But really mom, no need for both of us to suffer.

The beautiful Irish fall weather we had since our arrival has officially passed. Now we're on to rain, rain, and more rain. Full week of classes and then off to Cork for our next excursion this weekend. Cheers from Galway!

No comments:

Post a Comment