Monday, September 15, 2014

Aran Island Adventure

It was a busy week to say the least. This week we've all been embracing our obvious foreign selves while attempting to figure out where our classes are. I'm not used to a University campus. At Hobart it's 10 minutes from one place to another pretty much anywhere on campus. Here, it takes at least 15 just to walk to the University from our apartment let alone find the right buildings. Although, an Irish student did actually ask me for directions the other day which made me feel a little less American. Whether I gave her the right directions or not is another story. Though it's a university, there is gorgeous quad (below).

Called the "quadrangle"

On Saturday, we had our first excursion of the semester to the Aran Islands. We left early Saturday morning on a bus to a port where we then took a ferry to the Aran Island of Inishmore.

On the ferry (Danny, Caroline, Ben, Dennis, Me, Kai, Katelyn, and Maeve)

Lacking some basic childhood skills, I took a bus tour with two others while everyone else hopped on bikes to get to our desired location on the island.


Once we were all there, a guide led us to the top of Dun Aounghasa, a stone fort built during the Bronze Age. What an archaeological sight! From the top of the fort, you can see the ocean on either side as well as all the way down the 87 meter drop over the cliffs. I've never seen anything like it, absolutely breathtaking.

Kai, Me, and Caroline at the top in front of the fort


87 meter drop! Yikes!

The crew: Caroline, me, Abby, Kai, and Janine at the top

We have another packed week of figuring out classes as well as immigration appointments at the Garda to get our student visas (hopefully I don't get deported already). I also signed up to play for the club water polo team here which starts tonight. I'm super excited and nervously hoping my high school skills won't be too rusty. Then off to Dublin on Friday for our next excursion. Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment